Skip to content

Carers who stay overnight

  • Do you or your partner have a carer who regularly stays overnight in your home?
  • Do you rent your home?
  • Is the overnight care provided by a carer who doesn’t live in your home?
  • Do you have a room that your carer uses to sleep in overnight?

If the answer to all these questions is yes, then the help that you get with your rent can take account of this.

A bedroom that is used by a carer (or team of carers) who doesn’t actually live in your home can be taken into account when working out how much Housing Benefit or Local Housing Allowance to pay.

This might mean that you get an increase in your benefit, or that you won't be affected by the under-occupancy rules (sometimes called the 'bedroom tax').

We'll need to see some proof that you have overnight care. This could be a letter from your doctor, social worker or support worker.

Even if your benefit doesn’t increase as a result, you should still tell us if you or your partner has this type of care arrangement. So, if you think you might be entitled to help with the cost of an extra bedroom that is used by a carer, please contact the Benefits Team.

Share this page:

Last updated:

Back to top