Skip to content


Checklist for people who may have to move home

Moving home

If you are affected by any of the changes to housing benefits and think that you may need to move home, the following contacts may be useful to you.

Local authority
North West Leicestershire District Council should be your first point of contact. We will be able to let you know about available properties in this area. We will also be able to advise you which local authority you need to contact if you are planning to move out of the area. 

Go to Available properties

Jobcentre Plus
If you are on Jobseekers Allowance or Income Support, remember to let the Jobcentre know your new address. You can search for your local Jobcentre Plus by using the link below. The search tool will provide you with the full address and contact number of the nearest Jobcentre Plus office to your new home.

Go to Jobcentre Plus

Redirecting post
Do this in good time as it could take up to five days to set up the instruction to redirect your post.

Go to Royal Mail Redirection Service

Health services (GP, dentist etc)
Remember to deregister with your doctor, dentist and opticians if you are moving out of the area. You can use this link to find health services in your new location.

Go to NHS Services

Let your child’s school know of your change of address. You can use the link below to find schools, child care and other services for your new location.

Go to - Choosing a school

Social Services and Support for carers
If you need a carer or support from social services, contact Leicestershire County Council for advice. Alternatively, you can contact the local authority for the area that you are moving to.

Go to Leics County Council - Social Care

Important information
This article is only a guide and does not cover every circumstance. We have done our best to make sure that the information given is up-to-date and correct.

Last updated: Mon 20th January, 2014 @ 16:00

Jump To

Back to top