Skip to content

Houses in multiple occupation

The Housing Act 2004 requires landlords of houses of multiple occupation (with more than two households or tenants) to be licensed by the Local Authority. In Scotland, under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 (Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation) Order 2000, any rented property which is occupied by three or more unrelated people, who share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet, must have a licence from the local authority.

Back to top