What do I need to tell you when I report a repair?

When you report a repair you need to tell us:

  • Your name, address and home phone number if you have one. Leaving your phone number will help us if we need to contact you
  • As full a description of the problem as possible
  • When it would be convenient for the work to be done
  • Details of any special needs; for example, if it might take you a little bit longer to answer the door
  • Whether you would like an appointment.

If in doubt about the offer of an appointment, please ask when you report the repair.

Related Pages (5)

  • Repairs - council housing

    This page tells you about the North West Leicestershire District Council house repairs service and explains our responsibilities as the service provider, as well as your responsibilities as a tenant.

  • Solid fuel heating and servicing

    Information about solid fuel heating and servicing for our tenants

  • Help! My boiler's broken...

    What to do if your boiler fails if you're a tenant of North West Leicestershire District Council

  • Housing Planned Investment Programme 2010/2015

    This is the planned investment programme for the next five years based on wards.

  • Right to Repair

    Right to Repair is a scheme for council tenants. It will make sure that certain small urgent repairs which might affect your health, safety or security are done quickly and easily. A repair only qualifies if it costs less than £250.