Issued on behalf of Leicestershire County Council
Leicestershire County Council is currently undergoing a significant period of change. The council has to make £66 million of savings over the next four years, this is on top of the £161 million saved since 2010 – this means difficult decisions about services in all areas of the council’s work.
Currently, LCC provides transport to nursery and school/college for approximately 400 children with SEN under five, and between the ages of 16-19. LCC does not have a statutory duty to provide this in the same way we do for children aged 5-16.
The proposals that LCC is considering:
- Reducing the level of discount available to children and young people from low income families for transport to nursery and post 16 education
- To stop offering council arranged taxis and minibuses to transport SEN students to post 16 education and offer a Personal Transport Budget instead
- To stop providing transport to post 16 education for eligible mainstream post 16 students
No decisions about these proposals have yet been made. LCC is committed to a wide consultation on these proposals before making any decisions.
If, following consultation, any proposals are agreed these would be implemented from September 2019.
How to give your views on the consultation:
Your views are important so that LCC can better understand how the proposals could affect you and how the authority can make any changes work best for you.
For general enquires or comments about this consultation, or to request a paper copy please phone 0116 305 0002 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
During the consultation, LCC will also be holding a series of meetings to provide you with information to help you submit your views on the proposals.
The dates and venues for the consultation events coming up are:
- 20 November – Ashmount School, Thorpe Hill, Loughborough, 6pm
- 21 November - Birch Wood School Hall, Grange Drive, Melton Mowbray, 6.30pm
There is no need to register in advance for these consultation events. If you have any special requirements, e.g. a hearing loop, or if you require support to enable you to attend an event, please contact 0116 305 0002 or email email@example.com