Published: Wed 28 August, 2019
A host of free open days, tours, walks and events will take place at historic heritage locations across North West Leicestershire and South Derbyshire next month.
Between Saturday 7 September and Sunday 22 September, Hello Heritage will return for its third year with more venues participating than ever before.
Forty sites will showcase their history, heritage and culture to the public with a wide range of offerings including guided tours, open days, exhibitions, walks and talks.
Organised by North West Leicestershire District Council (NWLDC) and South Derbyshire District Council (SDDC) with the support of all of the participating locations, venues and groups, the fortnight of heritage fun has something for everyone.
A full brochure detailing all the available free activities and events can be found at www.nwleics.gov.uk/helloheritage
A small snapshot of just a few of Hello Heritage’s offerings include:
- An open day at Moira Furnace Museum and Country Park
- A guided walk around Foremarke and Heath Wood with the Magic Attic history group
- Backstage tours of the Century Theatre in Coalville
- Memorabilia collected by former Leicester City and England footballer David Nish at Measham Museum
- Tours of the Snibston mine site with the Snibston Heritage Group
- An exhibition celebrating 800 years of Ashby Statutes at Ashby Museum
- See mining artefacts and memorabilia with the South Derbyshire Mining Preservation Group
- Have the history and development of your favourite Palitoy toy explained by the former chief toy designer at the Coalville factory site
- And much much more…
Councillor Tony Gillard, Portfolio Holder for Business and Regeneration at NWLDC, said: “Hello Heritage continues to grow year on year as we encourage all the wonderful heritage sites and groups across the two districts to really showcase what they have to offer.
“There’s so much to choose from and a real mix of activities that mean there really should be something for everyone during the fortnight.
“Hello Heritage is organised for everyone. Get involved and see what you can learn and discover with your friends and family!”
Cllr Martyn Ford, Leader of South Derbyshire District Council, said: “We are delighted to work in partnership with NWLDC throughout Hello Heritage fortnight, which offers excellent opportunities to find out more about the wealth of culture and history our area boasts.
“Whatever your interest, you will find something to enjoy. Even those who have lived in the area for years will be fascinated by the stories behind buildings, landscapes and industry.
“We encourage everyone to take a look at what is on offer and to get involved.”
Booklets with complete details can be picked up at both Ashby and Swadlincote Tourist Information Centres and more information can also be found at www.nwleics.gov.uk/helloheritage and/or https://www.south-derbys.gov.uk/helloheritage