Published: Mon 9 December, 2019
North West Leicestershire tourism businesses have put themselves on the map after taking prizes in 16 of the 29 award categories at the 2019 Leicestershire Tourism and Hospitality Awards.
The businesses represented a mixture of new and well established tourism businesses, all bringing high quality, unique and valued services and experiences to the tourism offer across North West Leicestershire.
The awards event was held at Leicester’s Athena venue last week and the judging process involved reviewing each finalist's submission, online research and mystery shopping from an independent panel.
The National Forest landed one of the biggest awards being named ‘Tourism Superstar’ for their environmental efforts to preserve and improve our countryside.
Here are the details of those recognised from North West Leicestershire:
Seven award winners
- New Tourism Business – National Forest E-Bike Holidays
- Ethical, Responsible and Sustainable Tourism Award – Timber Festival
- Large Hotel of the Year – Best Western Premier Yew Lodge Hotel
- Local Food and Drink Producer – The Bee Farmer
- Market Town/Shopping Destination – The Ferrers Centre
- Outdoor Experience – Greenwood Days
- Tourism Superstar – The National Forest
Five highly commended awards
- New Tourism Business - Alpaca Park Farm
- Outdoor Experience - Haunted Heritage Paranormal Events
- Independent Retail Outlet – Ferrers Gallery
- Leicestershire Breakfast – Alpaca Park Farm
- Large Visitor Attraction of the Year - Conkers
Four commended awards
- Best Market Town/Shopping Destination – Ashby de la Zouch
- Afternoon Tea – Alpaca Park Farm
- Best Team - Alpaca Park Farm
- Best Free Event – May the Toys Be With You – Coalville Heritage Society
Mark Fiander, Head of Economic Regeneration at North West Leicestershire District Council, said: “We would like to congratulate all the winners from our district. They fully deserve this recognition for the excellent work they are doing to provide a brilliant tourism offer in North West Leicestershire.
“I’d encourage anyone reading this to support our district’s winners by sampling some of the experiences and products that our tourism businesses have to offer – you won’t regret it!”