Published: Thu 15 April, 2021
Pharmacies across North West Leicestershire are supporting a new domestic abuse scheme which allows victims to discreetly signal that they are in danger.
North West Leicestershire District Council (NWLDC) is working in partnership with more than 80% of pharmacies across the district who have signed up to take part in the Ask for ANI (Action Needed Immediately) scheme.
Domestic abuse victims will be able to ‘Ask for ANI’as a codeword to signal to pharmacists that they need help. Staff members will then offer to take the victim to a consultation room to check if they need a police response or help contacting a helpline or specialist support service. Participating pharmacies include:
- Boots, Market Street, Ashby
- Tesco, Resolution Road, Ashby
- Ashby Pharmacy, The Green, Ashby
- Boots, New Broadway, Coalville
- Lloyds Pharmacy, Whitwick Road Surgery, Coalville
- Well Pharmacy, Long Lane, Coalville
- Masons, Belvoir Road, Coalville
- Dean & Smedley, High Street, Measham
- Masons, Grange Road, Hugglescote
- Masons, North Street, Whitwick
- Evans Pharmacy, Borough Street, Castle Donington
- Listers, High Street, Ibstock
- Brennans Pharmacy, High Street, Ibstock
Pharmacies taking part will display posters in their windows and around the pharmacy to let customers know that they can approach staff members for help. The scheme officially goes live on 19 April.
Emma Knight, Health and Wellbeing Team Leader at North West Leicestershire District Council, said: “The Ask for ANI scheme is a great opportunity to raise awareness around domestic abuse and provide vulnerable victims with a lifeline to get access to emergency support.
“We’re working with a number of pharmacies across North West Leicestershire who are keen to help make a difference and provide victims with the support that they need.
“There’s still time for pharmacies to sign up so if sounds like something you would like to support, get in touch for more information.”
Emma is the co-ordinator for North West Leicestershire and pharmacists can contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org