Published: Wed 8 December, 2021
Exceptional and inspiring sports personalities have been recognised for their efforts and achievements at the annual North West Leicestershire Sports and Health Awards.
The event, which returned virtually for a second year, celebrated the amazing successes of sportsmen, women, teams and clubs from across the district.
Taking place on Microsoft Teams with over 80 live viewers, the awards ceremony aimed to recognise sports people within North West Leicestershire following another challenging year.
The winners in the seven categories were:
- Junior team – Ashby Castle Lawn Tennis Club 14 and under boys team
- Disabled sportsperson – Eric Sheldon, Jason Wilock, Matthew Morley, Phillip Pope and Enrych Boccia
- Club of the year – Ashby Netball Club
- School of the year – Moira Primary School
- Junior activator – Josh Halliday, Riley Ward, and Bradley Heathcote
- Senior activator – Matthew Clarke
- Outstanding contribution – Matt Buckley
- Healthy Lifestyle – Sam Killip
- Sportsperson – Thomas Lane
Councillor Andrew Woodman, Portfolio Holder for Community Services at North West Leicestershire District Council, said: “Many of our district’s sports people have shown resilience by continuing to keep healthy and active during another tough year.
“The awards ceremony gave us an opportunity to celebrate the achievements and recognise those efforts of our North West Leicestershire sporting stars.
“It’s not just about the outstanding athletes and teams we have but also about the volunteers and coaches that work tirelessly to deliver sport in our district.
“Everyone that was nominated for an award should be immensely proud of themselves, well done to all.”