Published: Tue 25 January, 2022
A taste of Britain’s favourite comedy acts will be returning to the National Forest next month.
The Big Weekend will be coming to North West Leicestershire from Thursday 3 February to Monday 7 February as part of the hugely successful Leicester Comedy Festival.
North West Leicestershire District Council (NWLDC) has worked with the festival organiser to bring events into the National Forest area during the first weekend of the festival, resulting in a feast of comedy entertainment for all ages.
Venues such as Coalville’s Newmarket, Century Theatre, Conkers and the Lyric Rooms in Ashby are on board, along with other smaller venues such as Coalville Escape Rooms and Ashby and Coalville libraries to ensure a real variety of performances.
- Nathan Caton, who appeared on Live at the Apollo, Mock the Week and countless other TV shows, will appear at the Lyric Rooms in Ashby on Thursday 3 February
- A comedy dinner show with an Only Fools and Horses tribute act at Conkers on Friday 4 February
- An evening with Rob Gee for storytelling, comedy, and poetry at Coalville’s Newmarket on Saturday 5 February
- Peter Kay tribute act – Lee Lard - will be at Conkers on Saturday 5 February
- Funny Folk Tales for Grown Ups and Silly Stories and Funny Fables for Children fromTom the Tale Teller at The Moira Furnace Museum and Country Park on Saturday 5 February
- Free caricature portraits by artist, Paul Rose at Snibston’s Colliery Cafe and Newmarket Coalville on Saturday 5 February
- Comedian and BBC Radio 4’s Tom Wrigglesworth will perform at The Century Theatre Coalville on Saturday 5 February
- Ashby Cartoon Trail and Cafe Caption Competition from Thursday 3 February to Monday 7 February
- An interactive comedy trail across Coalville town centre with Escape Coalville Escape Rooms from Thursday 3 February to Monday 7 February
There’s lots more happening for children too with the National Forest’s Funniest Kids at The Century Theatre and Giggly Wriggler Readers at Coalville and Ashby Library.
For more information about all the events and shows, and to book tickets, visit www.nwleics.gov.uk/bigweekend
Councillor Tony Gillard, Portfolio Holder for Business at NWLDC, said: “We’re hugely excited for The Big Weekend to return to the National Forest.
“It’s great to be working with the Leicester Comedy Festival which has already established itself as a favourite in the city, and their experience and expertise is very welcome to bring a taste of the festival to the people of North West Leicestershire.
“Tickets are available so head online and view the full programme!”