Published: Fri 25 November, 2022
Exceptional and inspiring sports personalities have been recognised for their efforts and achievements at the North West Leicestershire Let’s Get Moving Awards.
The event last night, which returned in person for the first time since the pandemic, celebrated the amazing successes of sportsmen, women, teams and clubs from across the district.
Taking place at the Whitwick and Coalville Leisure Centre, with over 380 guests, the awards ceremony aimed to recognise sports people within North West Leicestershire.
The nominations praised each winner for their contributions to the health and wellbeing of residents, including Shaun Culpin, Coach at Coalville Town Football Club, who was crowned Disability Activator of the Year. Shaun was commended for his dedication to his inclusive football team and the passion, time and effort he puts into understanding the individual needs of the players.
Rachel Ridgill, Chair of Grace Dieu Netball Club, received the Outstanding Contribution Award for the significant difference she made to netball within the community and her impact on the lives of junior boys and girls and ladies by getting them involved in the sport.
The winners in the 10 categories were:
- Let's Get Moving School Award - Whitwick St John the Baptist CE Primary School
- Primary School Team of the Year - Hugglescote Key Steps 3 Gymnastics Team
- Secondary School Team of the Year - Ivanhoe Year 8 boys football team
- Club of the Year - Grace Dieu Netball Club
- Team of the Year - Hermitage Volleyball Club Women's Regional Team
- Sportsperson of the Year - Katie Hoult
- Disabled Sportsperson of the Year - Matthew Humphries
- Disability Activator of the Year - Shaun Culpin
- Let's Get Moving for Health - Tracey Johnson
- Outstanding Contribution - Rachel Ridgill
Councillor Andrew Woodman, Portfolio Holder for Community Services at North West Leicestershire District Council, said: “It was great to be able to celebrate the achievements of our district’s best sports people all in one room again.
“With the help of our sporting stars, North West Leicestershire is working towards a healthier and more physically active district.
“Everyone that was nominated for an award should be immensely proud of themselves, well done to all.”