Council tax bands are not set by North West Leicestershire District Council. They are set by the local Valuation Office in Leicester.

There are only limited occasions when taxpayers can challenge their band. These include:

  • Where there has been a 'material increase' or 'material reduction' (explained below) in the property's value
  • Where you start or stop using part of your property to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes
  • Where the Listing Officer has altered the Valuation List without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer (please note: your appeal must be made within six months of the change being made by the Listing Officer)
  • Where you become a council tax payer for the first time (your appeal must be made within six months, but if the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again)

A material increase in value may result from building, engineering or other work carried out on the property. In these cases revaluation does not take place until after the sale - so the person appealing would usually be the new owner or resident.

A material reduction in value may result from the demolition of any part of the property, any change in the physical state of the local area or an adaptation to make the property suitable for use by someone with a physical disability. In these cases revaluation should take place as soon as possible.

If you would like to appeal against the band of your property, you need to contact the Valuation Office on 03000 501501 or go to their website: Valuation Office.

Share this page:

Last updated: Tue 19 May, 2020 @ 11:46