Green shoots banner

We offer Green Shoots grants to community groups and parish councils to help communities brighten up their areas in spring. 

The Green Shoots scheme is now closed for applications. 

Where are you thinking of planting?

Suggested bulb type

Grassy areas

Naturalising mix of narcissi / daffodils / tulips 

Short mown areas


How many bulbs can we select?

Bulbs are provided in bundles of approximately 1,000 bulbs.  We are working on a cost of 1,000 bulbs at approximately £120.  You need to order at least 2,000 bulbs, eg. this could be a combination of 1,000 daffodils and 1,000 crocus.   

Number of bulbs requested

NWLDC pays

You pay














Who will order the bulbs?

Our grounds maintenance team will buy the bulbs in bulk, which means we can get the bulbs at the cheapest rate possible.  Our Community Focus Officers will then deliver the bulbs to each of the groups. 

Who will plant the bulbs?

You will then mobilise your volunteers and arrange your own planting days in autumn. 

How do we pay?

Once you have received confirmation that your grant request has been successful, we will inform you of the date of delivery.  You will then receive an invoice.  You can either pay this invoice by telephone, via the internet “pay online” select sundry debtor invoice and follow prompts, pay direct into the council’s bank account, pay at the Post Office or any Paypoint.  You can also send a cheque for the appropriate amount made payable to North West Leicestershire District Council (NWLDC).  Cheques should be sent to Exchequer Services, c/o NWLDC offices, Whitwick Road, Coalville, Leicestershire, LE67 3FJ and clearly identified for “Green Shoots”.

Do we need to get permission for planting?

Where your group/organisation is not the landowner, you will need to demonstrate that you are the long-term lease holder or have secured agreement with the owner for developing the project. 

If you intend to plant on the public highway you will need to contact Leicestershire County Council to gain permission.  Email:

Who is responsible for health and safety and public liability insurance?

Your group will be entirely responsible for any health and safety requirements when planting your bulbs, particularly if you are intending to plant on the public highway.  Your group/organisation will need to have its own public liability insurance in place or approach your local parish/town council to operate under their insurance.

For any enquiries about this scheme, please Email: 

Share this page:

Last updated: Fri 27 August, 2021 @ 17:01