Help and support available

If you have been financially affected by COVID -19 and need support with paying your rent and /or council tax please use the following links.  Use the links to make a claim or report a change in your circumstances. Do not delay in making your claim or reporting a change as any financial support may not be backdated.

Don’t delay – Claim today

Universal Credit

Department for Works and Pensions

Understanding Universal Credit - Coronavirus and claiming benefits

More useful information regarding the coronavirus has been provided by the Department for Work and Pensions.

Council tax instalments

More than 75% of people pay their council tax bills by Direct Debit.

If you are not paying by Direct Debit and would like to change your instalment plan and set up a Direct Debit at the same time, please sign up to day by using this

Creating a new payment arrangement

-To do this you need set up an on-line Council Tax account, registering for this is easy and will allow you to view your Council Tax details, request a payment arrangement, search for a Council Tax band, pay your Council Tax and sign up for direct debit.

Please note that when setting up a payment arrangement via this method all payments must be received within this financial year.

More information on this can be found by using this

If you are experiencing financial difficulty and cannot settle the council tax due before the end of March 2021 please contact customer services on 01530 454545.

Council tax support

Make a claim for Council Tax Reduction below if you are on a low income or your income has reduced and you have less than £16,000 in capital by using this link:

If you are working age and in receipt of Council tax reduction the household will be eligible for an additional grant of up to £150 to help towards your Council Tax bill. The payment forms part of a new government fund aimed at helping vulnerable households during the Covid19 outbreak and payments will be allocated to your account automatically if you are eligible. Please do not contact us; we will automatically rebill you once this grant has been applied.

Help with paying your rent

Most working age people should claim help with rent costs through Universal Credit.

However, if you are pension age or live in supported or temporary accommodation you should claim Housing Benefit by using this link:

Reporting change in in circumstances council tax support and housing benefit

If you are in receipt of either council tax reduction/support and/or housing benefit complete our change of circumstance form to let us know about changes to your income by using this link:

Share this page:

Last updated: Thu 23 July, 2020 @ 16:05