Skip to Content

Christ Church

London Road, Coalville

Church designed by Henry Isaac Stevens, 1836-38 (grade II listed)

Lamps christ

Christ Church dates from 1836-38. There is a memorial altar in the south transept. First World War casualties are commemorated on the centre panels and Second World War casualties on the side panels.

An ornate wooden screen was installed to the transept and the chancel, with decorative motifs that include poppies. On the altar there is a jewelled brass cross, donated by the widow and children of the Rev Samuel Hosking, and a brass book rest given in memory of William Thomas, who was killed in action on 9 April 1917.

The churchyard contains a private grave with an inscription for Corporal John Sheffield, who died on 13 March 1915.

Newbridge School

Forest Road, Coalville

Grammar school designed by Barrowcliff & Allcock, 1909 (not listed)

Lamps newbridge

A pavilion was erected on the school playing field to commemorate 'old boys' who fell in the First World War. The brick pavilion was designed by McCarthy Collings & Co and opened on 11 November 1924.

The school's 'remembrance stone' was originally located at Bridge Road School (later Coalville Technical College). It was unveiled on 24 May 1922. It is "a large rough piece of Leicestershire granite" inscribed with gold lettering. It commemorates two teachers and five 'old boys' who fell in the First World War. 

Methodist Church

Marlborough Square, Coalville

Primitive Methodist Chapel designed by McCarthy & Co, 1902-03 (conservation area)

Lamps marlborough

The former Primitive Methodist Chapel contains two First World War memorials - a stone tablet that is set in a plaster frame (dedicated to the chapel scholars) and a marble memorial tablet. Sidney F Dodd's name appears on both.

Sidney F Dodd

Before the war, Sidney worked in the pattern office at Wootton Brothers, the Coalville iron founders. He volunteered in 1914 and was confirmed killed on the 21 October 1916, aged 21.

Ebenezer Baptist Church

Ashby Road, Coalville

Primitive Methodist Chapel, 1834-35, extended 1881-82 to form a Baptist Chapel (not listed)

Lamps ebenezer

The chapel's memorial comprises three marble plaques set inside an oak frame, with the names of the fallen inscribed upon them. A further small plaque has been added to the head of the frame to commemorate those who lost their lives in the Second World War.

Fred Whitmore

Inscribed on the right hand tablet is the name of Fred Whitmore. Fred was from Hugglescote and the secretary of the village's football team. He joined a Black Watch battalion in 1914. Being an excellent shot he was put on sniper duty and gained the rank of Lance Corporal. After being injured in battle he was taken prisoner and died shortly afterward, on 28 May 1915.

Cemetery

London Road, Coalville

Cemetery laid out by George Chubb, 1858-59 (not listed)

Lamps martin

In the cemetery, the graves of Frank Martin and Harry Geary are marked by IWGC headstones. Inscriptions on private graves commemorate Simeon Stacey, Morris Edwin James, John William Tugby, Walter Fantom, Charles Jewsbury and Robert Hay.

RC Church of St Wilfrid of York

London Road, Coalville

Church designed by Arthur Farebrother & Partners, 1960-61 (not listed)

Lamps rc coal

Attached to the front of the building, there is a simple slate tablet that contains the names of 25 fallen soldiers. The tablet was probably taken from the RC Church of St Saviour (demolished), which was erected on Highfield Street in 1900.

Image credits (top to bottom): Joe Ashby (four images); Michael Faulkner; James White

Share this page:

Last updated: