Work to redesign Marlborough Square has been put on hold to ensure the project provides value for money.
Marlborough Square redesign (PDF Document, 2.94 Mb)
The project was due to start in October, but the cost received from contractors is over the estimate and the allocated budget. Work is currently paused while the scheme is reviewed.
Discussions are underway between North West Leicestershire District Council (NWLDC), Leicestershire County Council (LCC) and the LCC approved contractors. Work is ongoing to resolve the cost issue quickly and we hope the work on site could start later in the year or in early 2019.
The one hour free car parking spaces in the square will temporarily be reopened to shoppers and short stay visitors. The 24 replacement free spaces that have been split between James Street Car Park and Margaret Street will also continue to be free.
When the redesign is complete:
We hope to bring at least one event to the new square each month, like:
- Special markets
What sort of events would you like to see in the new square?
Vehicles will only be able to travel through the square one way – from Jackson Street to Belvoir Road.
- No waiting on parts of Belvoir Road, Marlborough Square and Jackson Street, Coalville
- Limited waiting, 30 minutes no return for 1 hour on part of Marlborough Square, Coalville
- Pedestrian zone except for loading on part of Marlborough Square, Coalville
- No stopping except taxis on part of Marlborough Square, Coalville
- No stopping except taxis 8pm – 6am on part of Marlborough Square, Coalville
- One way traffic on part of Marlborough Square, Coalville
- Prohibit vehicular movements on part of Marlborough Square
- 20 MPH speed limit on parts of Jackson Street and Belvoir Road, Coalville and on the entire length of Marlborough Square, Coalville
Approximately five free short stay parking spaces will be provided in the new square (30 minutes).
Three of these spaces will be used by the church for funerals and weddings.
Buses and taxis
There will be two bus bays with shelters and one waiting space for buses.
The taxi rank will be opposite the day nursery. It will hold approximately three cars. At night, when there are no buses running, the bus bays will be used as an additional taxi rank.
Businesses to the north of the square that need delivery access will be able to use part of the pedestrianised area for this purpose.
When will this work be done?
We hope work will start in late 2018 or early 2019. The redesign will take up to six months.
We’re pleased that the majority of businesses located in the vicinity of the square, and businesses that use the square have expressed support for the project.
Thank you to everyone who has been involved with developing the redesign concepts. Your input has been invaluable. We’re looking forward to seeing the new square have a positive effect on your business.
Last updated: Wed 17 October, 2018 @ 15:56