We are investing £1.1 million to redesign Marlborough Square, making it a much more attractive public space that is pedestrian friendly and can be used for a range of events.
Marlborough Square redesign (PDF Document, 2.94 Mb)
We hope to bring at least one event to the new square each month, like:
- Special markets
What sort of events would you like to see in the new square?
Vehicles will only be able to travel through the square one way – from Jackson Street to Belvoir Road.
- No waiting on parts of Belvoir Road, Marlborough Square and Jackson Street, Coalville
- Limited waiting, 30 minutes no return for 1 hour on part of Marlborough Square, Coalville
- Pedestrian zone except for loading on part of Marlborough Square, Coalville
- No stopping except taxis on part of Marlborough Square, Coalville
- No stopping except taxis 8pm – 6am on part of Marlborough Square, Coalville
- One way traffic on part of Marlborough Square, Coalville
- Prohibit vehicular movements on part of Marlborough Square
- 20 MPH speed limit on parts of Jackson Street and Belvoir Road, Coalville and on the entire length of Marlborough Square, Coalville
Approximately five free short stay parking spaces will be provided in the new square (30 minutes).
Three of these spaces will be used by the church for funerals and weddings.
Buses and taxis
There will be two bus bays with shelters and one waiting space for buses.
The taxi rank will be opposite the day nursery. It will hold approximately three cars. At night, when there are no buses running, the bus bays will be used as an additional taxi rank.
Businesses to the north of the square that need delivery access will be able to use part of the pedestrianised area for this purpose.
When will this work be done?
Once the final designs are drawn up, the work will take up to six months. We hope it will be completed during winter 2018/19.
Give us your feedback
Please send any comments and feedback to email@example.com before Thursday 17 May
We’re pleased that the majority of businesses located in the vicinity of the square, and businesses that use the square have expressed support for the project.
Thank you to everyone who has been involved with developing the redesign concepts. Your input has been invaluable. We’re looking forward to seeing the new square have a positive effect on your business.
Last updated: Fri 4 May, 2018 @ 10:05