Skip to content

Planning advice for homeowners

If you're thinking of making improvements to your home, adding an extension or even building a new house, we’re here to help you through the planning system.

Find out about work to your home that may not need planning permission

If you can't find what you need on this page, just contact us for pre-application advice

Extensions to homes, or the erection of buildings within gardens (for example) often do not require an application for planning permission to be submitted to us.

This can include extensions, alterations to the original house and proposals within the boundary of the original house. We call this 'permitted development'. Find out more about permitted development.

Find out more about permission in conservation areas and for listed buildings

Find out about permission for work to trees


Step 1. Planning permission enquiry form

Download and complete the Planning Permission Preliminary Enquiry Form (PDF Document, 0.12 Mb)
(Please note the location plan is a sample only and will not be specific to your house)

Certain developments may require planning permission. The best way to find out it to complete one of these forms and send to us:

Step 2. Send us your form(s) and any sketches

You can do this using email or send a paper copy to the Council Offices

Step 3. We tell you if you need planning permission

Once we have looked at your proposal, we will write or email to let you know if you need planning permission. This is normally done within 20 working days of the receipt of the form. We don't charge for this service.

Step 4. Applying for planning permission

If you need it, apply for planning permission. 

Step 5. Building regulations

You may need approval under the Building Regulations even if you don’t need planning permission.

It’s always best to get advice, so please contact our Building Control team.

Share this page:

Last updated:

Back to top