A building gets 'listed' because it has been determined to have special architectural or historic interest.

The lists are organised by parish and then street name.

The buildings selected are meant to cover a typical cross section of architectural styles and building types throughout the country.

The extent to which the building survives in its original form and its date of construction are both important factors: The better its condition and the older or rarer a building is, the more likely it is to be listed.

In North West Leicestershire there are more than 650 listed buildings - ranging in scale from mileposts and telephone kiosks through to churches and country houses. You can find out whether a building is listed by visiting the  National Heritage List for England.

Further information can be found in Listed Buildings: An Outline Guide (PDF Document, 0.43 Mb).

How can I get a building listed?

English Heritage selects the buildings to be listed - not us.

Anyone can ask for any building to be considered. Find out more on the Historic England website.

What are the effects of listing?

A special form of permission called Listed Building Consent (LBC) is required for any works of extension, demolition or alteration 'which would affect the character of the building as one of special architectural or historic interest'.

This is in addition to any other form of permission that may be required. It is a criminal offence to undertake the works without first getting LBC.

Some general advice on the sort of works that will require consent can be found in . However, there is always an element of judgement in deciding what needs consent and anyone contemplating works to a listed building should seek the advice of the Conservation Officer before starting.

How do I make a Listed Building Consent application?

Find application forms to make a Listed Building Consent application

There is one form for works which only require LBC and separate forms which combine LBC with other types of permission (e.g. planning permission). Only one form is required and it is important that the right one is selected.

What happens if a listed building is falling into disrepair?

It is an unfortunate truth that not all listed buildings are as well maintained as they should be. We will always try to work with the owners of listed buildings to find creative solutions to secure the future of historic buildings.

But this isn't always possible.

In those rare cases, we have legal powers to serve either an 'Urgent Works Notice' or a 'Repairs Notice' on the owners of the building. These specify the works required for the preservation of the building.

Urgent Works Notices, as their name implies, are used only for emergency repairs such as keeping the building wind and watertight - or providing temporary support to prevent collapse.

A Repairs Notice can go further and require more extensive works to repair the building to its condition at the time of listing.

Can I do emergency work to a listed building?

Occasionally, a need may arise to do works at very short notice for safety reasons.

You should always try to get our permission first - or you may be prosecuted. To avoid that you'll need to show that:

  1. Work to the building were urgently necessary in the interests of safety or health or for the preservation of the building
  2. It wasn't practicable to secure safety or health or, as the case may be, the preservation of the building by works of repair or works for affording temporary support or shelter
  3. The works were limited to the minimum measures immediately necessary
  4. Notice in writing justifying in detail the carrying out of the works was given to us as soon as it reasonably could be.

Last updated: Fri 2 June, 2023 @ 09:39