Coronavirus information for funerals, burials and interments of cremated remains
Arranging a funeral, burial or cremation is a difficult thing to do at any time, and under the current circumstances even more so. We are working to minimise the impact of the coronavirus on bereavement services.
Our cemeteries remain open and we have introduced the following temporary changes:
- The Council building is closed to the public for all enquiries please telephone our Bereavement service team on 01530 454595
- The number of the above is restricted to 20 for any burial interments at the cemetery.
- The number of the above is restricted to 10 for cremated remains interments at the cemetery.
- The mourners should keep 2 metres apart from each other where possible in the cemetery and 1metre plus by the graveside - Face coverings must be worn when less that 2metres apart
- Mourners should follow the advice on social distancing when travelling to and from the funeral gathering.
- Mourners should avoid any direct face-to-face or physical contact, for example, hugging each other unless they are part of the same household, that is, they have already been living in the same house as each other
- Mourners in attendance, should follow the general advice on hand hygiene and preventing the spread of infection. Hand washing facilities are available in our cemetery toilets.
- All mourners who are unwell with symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) (a new continuous cough, a high temperature, or a loss of, or change in, their normal sense of taste or smell) Should notattend any gatherings in any circumstances.
- In many situations the household members of the deceased person will be the next of kin; they may be having to self-isolate or in the shielding group in line with household guidance. Where the funeral is scheduled to take place before the period of household isolation has been completed (14 days from the first case in that household), there should be no mixing between mourners who are self-isolating and those in the shielding group with those who are not.
- Mourners who are self- isolating or are from the shielding group with no symptoms of coronavirus (Covid- 19 ) may attend.
- Mourners who are clinically vulnerable or extremely clinically vulnerable should adhere to rigorous hand and respiratory hygiene at all times but particularly whilst out of the home environment. Hand sanitiser or sanitising wipes should be used regularly whilst outside of the home.
- You will now be able to pre-purchase a grave plot by making an appointment with the office to meet a member of staff onsite, guidelines will be issues.
- We are not currently offering appointments to meet a member of staff to select, locate a grave or memorial
- You may not currently scatter cremated remains of loved ones with family and friends present
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation we will update you of any further changes. This guidance will be in place for the foreseeable future for the safety of the public.
We are happy to give guidance on these matters please do not hesitate to contact us on Tel 01530 454595.
Please see the links below for further guidance to support the bereaved during the coronavirus pandemic.
Coronavirus bereavement information document (PDF Document, 0.2 Mb)
Coronavirus bereavement information - easy read version (PDF Document, 7.52 Mb)
We manage four cemeteries in North West Leicestershire
Coalville - Broom Leys (Meadow Lane) LE67 4DL
Coalville - London Road - LE67 3JD
Whitwick - Church lane - LE67 5DL
Hugglescote - Station Road - LE67 2GB
Cemeteries we don't manage
There are also cemeteries owned by town and parish councils in the district. Queries relating to other cemeteries and burial grounds in North West Leicestershire should be referred to the appropriate Parish Council or church.
Ashby de la Zouch Town Council, Legion House, South Street, Ashby, Leicestershire, LE65 1BQ
Telephone: 01530 416961
Ashby Woulds Town Council and Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe Joint Burial Committee
Lindsay Weaver, 71 Main Street, Thringstone, Coalville, Leicestershire, LE67 8ND
Telephone: 01530 222348
Nicola Land, Ibstock Miners Welfare Site, Ibstock, Leicester LE67 6HN
Telephone: 01530 261475 or 07855565936
Measham Leisure Centre off High Street, Measham, Derbyshire DE12 7HR
Telephone: 01530 589583
Date Issued 03 April 2020
Date Revised 24 April 2020
- Cemetery Fees and Charges 2020 (Word Document, 0.1 Mb)
- Interment Form (Word Document, 0.1 Mb)
- Byelaws. doc2017 amendment (Word Document, 0.1 Mb)
- Application to erect a memorial 2019 (Word Document, 0.1 Mb)
- Coronavirus bereavement information document (PDF Document, 0.2 Mb)
- Coronavirus bereavement information - easy read version (PDF Document, 7.52 Mb)
Last updated: Fri 10 July, 2020 @ 12:08