Top tasks:

Register with the Choice Based Lettings Scheme

We use a system called 'choice based lettings' to allocate council and most housing association homes in the district. You can find more information including how to apply for housing on our Find a Home page.

Unfortunately, many more people qualify for housing than can be re-housed each year. We have a limited supply of affordable housing - so many home seekers will not find a home immediately.

How old must I be?

In most cases, you must be over 18 years to hold a tenancy.

If you're 16 and 17 years old, you can apply to go onto the housing register - but you must be over 18 to hold a tenancy or have a guarantor (a person over the age of 18 who will guarantee the rent will be paid and the terms of the tenancy agreed to).

Can I transfer from one home to another?

You do have the option of tranfering properties, either through our Choice Based Lettings (CBL) system, or via a mutual exchange. Details can be found here: Swap your home - North West Leicestershire District Council (

Downsizing incentive

If you are a tenant of North West Leicestershire District Council, then you may be entitled to a 'downsizing incentive' - to help you move to a smaller home more suitable for your needs. 

This could be for you if you:

  • Currently under-occupy a family home (a 2, 3 or 4 bedroom house)
  • Are eligible for supported or sheltered flat or bungalow.

Please contact our Housing Management Team for more information on 01530 454660 or

Last updated: Wed 10 May, 2023 @ 09:45