What happens if my request is refused? Can I complain?

If your request is refused, for example because the information requested falls within one or more of the statutory exemptions, you will be told why it was refused and informed of any exemptions that apply.

If you are unhappy with our decision, we will do everything we can to resolve your complaint on an informal basis in the first instance.

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the informal complaints process you may apply to us for an internal review of the decision.

This review will be undertaken by different officers from those who made the original decision and the result of the review will be notified to you in writing. If, having gone through our internal review procedure, you are still unhappy with our decision, you may ask the Information Commissioner to independently review the case.

The Information Commissioner is responsible for administering and enforcing the Freedom Of Information Act 2000 and may be contacted at the following address: The Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.

Freedom of Information Complaints Procedure

Related Pages (6)