If there is an immediate risk to life or health, contact the emergency services, call 999.

Councils, emergency services, NHS, Environment Agency and other partners work together to investigate, support residents and businesses who are impacted and help communities get back to normal following flooding.

Preparing for a flood

What to do during and after a flood

Sandbags and Gel Bags

Sandbag policy

We keep a limited number of sandbags, which can only be used to protect:

  • Life and important buildings such as hospitals and substations
  • The elderly, disabled and vulnerable people
  • Access for emergency vehicles

These sandbags are available for homeowners to collect at our Linden Way depot off Ashby Road in Coalville (postcode LE67 3JY) - between 8am and 4:45pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays and weekends). Email customer.services@nwleicestershire.gov.uk or call 01530 454545 to arrange collection of sandbags. Out of hours collection can be arranged in emergencies on 01530 833 373.

In all other circumstances please buy sandbags from DIY stores or building merchants. Visit the Independent Flood Directory for flood protection products and services.

In an emergency situation we may be able to deliver sandbags depending on the individual circumstances and subject to available resources.

Gel bags kept with parish councils

We work with parish councils to ensure some gel bags are available in local areas for emergency flooding. Check if your local parish council is participating in this scheme.

Last updated: Thu 21 March, 2024 @ 17:50