Do I need permission to make improvements to my property?

Yes. You will need to fill in a form requesting permission for improvements online or our housing office can send one to you in the post. 

Please tell us, even if you think the work is insignificant. For example, we really do need to know if you are thinking of removing your bannister or fitting a satellite dish, just as much as we need to know when you want to fit a new kitchen or gas fire.

What happens next?

One of our surveyors will contact you, normally within five working days, and may make an arrangement to visit you. They will assess the improvement and tell you in writing what you need to do next.

It is your responsibility to ensure you have the relevant consents for planning and building regulation approval, which you can do by contacting Building Control.

Once you have received written consent from the repairs service and, if applicable, the relevant consent from Building Control, you can go ahead and make your improvements.  We will inspect the work once it's completed.

Providing you have followed the procedure above, if the alteration or improvement has cost you money and it has increased the value of the property, we may offer compension to you if you leave.

Please see this leaflet - 'Compensation for Improvements' for more information.

Any work must be carried out by a competent tradesperson.

A qualified and competent contractor must carry out all gas and electrical work. This must be a Gas Safe registered gas engineer or a NICEIC approved electrical contractor.

If you plan to leave your home, you can remove fixtures and fittings that you installed yourself (like fireplaces and internal doors) but the property must be put back to its original condition or left in a satisfactory condition.

Last updated: Mon 13 August, 2018 @ 15:27