If your home qualifies for an exemption by fulfilling one or more of the criteria, you can download an application form below. If it is not currently available to download please contact us.
- Empty properties owned by a charity which have been unoccupied for less than six months exemption form (PDF Document, 0.11 Mb)
- Properties left empty by prisoners exemption form (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb)
- Properties left empty by people in hospital exemption form (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb)
- Where someone has died - find out more
- Properties where occupation is prohibited by law
- Empty properties for use by clergy
- Properties left empty by people in care homes exemption form (PDF Document, 0.11 Mb)
- Properties left empty by persons providing care
- Properties left empty by students exemption form (PDF Document, 0.11 Mb)
- Repossessed properties
- Students halls of residence
- Properties occupied only by students or school-leavers
- Armed forces barracks, messes and married quarters
- Visiting forces accommodation
- Properties left empty where the liable person is a trustee in bankruptcy
- Properties consisting of a pitch or mooring which are not occupied by a caravan or boat
- Properties occupied by a person (or persons) under 18 years of age
- Empty annexes or granny flats which are difficult to let seperately and where the liable person also lives on the premises exemption form (PDF Document, 0.12 Mb)
- Properties occupied only by a person (or persons) who are severely mentally impaired exemption form (PDF Document, 0.13 Mb)
- Properties occupied by diplomats who live in North West Leicestershire
- Granny flats or annexes occupied by elderly or disabled relatives exemption form (PDF Document, 0.11 Mb)
We can only consider applications for discounts and exemptions once we've received a completed form and the appropriate documentary evidence of entitlement. You must continue to pay your demand notice as requested while we consider your application.
If a reduction is granted, we'll send you a revised demand notice, which will take into account what you've already paid us. If there is a credit balance on your account after a reduction has been applied, this will be carried forward against your future liability or refunded to you on request.
If a discount or exemption has been applied to your account, then you must tell us within 21 days of any change in circumstances affecting your entitlement.
This includes advising when an unoccupied property becomes furnished and / or occupied or sold, or when an occupier of the property turns 18 or ceases to qualify for disregarded status.
The classes of exempt property are set out in the Council Tax (Exempt Dwellings) Order 1992 - SI 1992 No.558 (as amended).
For further details of any of the exemptions please contact us.
Last updated: Mon 18 May, 2020 @ 13:29