You may make a verbal or written access request. 

This must contain your full name, full address and a form of personal identification.

For example:

  • A detailed explanation of what information you require

  • For those acting on another's behalf, for example a parent acting on behalf of their child, the Council requires some form of evidence that they are acting on behalf of the data subject legally.
    * This can be in the form of a jointly signed subject access request form, a letter from the data subject giving authority, or evidence showing parental responsibility.

  • For those unable to make requests for themselves due to incapacity, authorisation may be given by a police officer, a medical practitioner or another legal representative.

  • Any other information you think would be useful in identifying you (for example: if you used to work for The Council and are requesting personnel files, it may be useful to let us know when you worked for us and how long for)

We have a Subject Access Request Form available as a printable version which you can print off and fill in by hand.This sets out the information the Council needs from you in order to action a request.

Click here to make your request.

Your request should be sent to the address (or e-mail address) See Contact details.

*Please note

Proof of identity is essential for us to be able to process your request. Photocopies cannot be accepted.

Once entitlement has been established we will take a copy of the documents you have supplied to us and will return the originals to you.

This is to maintain the security of the information we hold about you and will help to ensure that we do not release your personal information to anybody else.

We will not release personal information without proper authority and proof of identity.

Responding to your request

We have to reply promptly, and at the most within 1 calendar month, starting from the day we receive the information we need to identify you and the information you need.

A credit reference agency only has seven days to respond to a request for a credit file.

Please see our Subject Access Request (SAR) Policy V2.0 (Word Document, 0.1 Mb) for further information.

*CCTV and the Data Protection Act, Please Note:

For CCTV Footage requests using the Data Protection Act, there is a different procedure and form to request information. You will find the information regarding CCTV and the Data Protection Act here.

If you need this information in other languages or formats (large print, Braille or audio), please let us know when you contact us.

Making a Complaint

If you are unhappy with the way you have handled your personal data please contact or write to us at Legal Services, North West Leicestershire District Council, PO Box 11051, Coalville, LE67 0FW. 

If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from us regarding your personal information you have the option of contacting the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) to take the complaint further. You can do this by emailing or visiting their website The ICO is the UK's independent authority which regulates Data Protection and Information laws.

Data Protection Officer 

If you have any questions or concerns you may contact our Data Protection Officer:

Last updated: Wed 8 March, 2023 @ 15:22