Struggling to pay your rent or council tax?

If you're a council tenant and you're struggling to afford or pay your rent, or your council tax speak to us as soon as possible.

If you live in a housing association property or private rental let your landlord know you're struggling.

If you're struggling to pay your council tax account call customer services to discuss available options.

If you're struggling to pay your mortgage, let your mortgage provider know as soon as possible.

Useful links

Citizens Advice - the independent organisation, with a helpdesk in the council offices on Whitwick Road in Coalville, offers free, confidential advice about a range of subjects including debt and money, budgeting and the cost of living.

If you're struggling to pay your utility or energy bills then you should speak to your provider. Whether it's electricity, gas or water, providers will be able to discuss ways to pay. Suppliers must work with you to agree on a payment plan you can afford. They will also be able to let you know about any hardship funds that you may be eligible for. Read more about Ofgem's rules for energy providers

StepChange Debt Charity - providing free financial and debt advice

Breathing Space - A government scheme designed to give households 60 days of breathing space from debt. Officially known as the Debt Respite Scheme, if you pass the eligibility checks for the scheme,your creditors won't be able to add interest or fees to your debts, or take enforcement action, for 60 days. You'll still need to keep making your regular payments if you can afford to.

National Debtline - the charity provides free debt advice, including information on how to make the most of your money. 

Dealing with high gas and electricity bills

Last updated: Mon 15 May, 2023 @ 11:00