Hate Incidents and Crimes
Hate of any kind is not tolerated in North West Leicestershire and we work closely with Leicestershire Police to ensure incidents and crimes are reported, victims are supported and perpetrators prosecuted.
A hate incident is any incident targeted at a person where they are seen or believed to be different, this may be motivated by:
- Gender Identity
- Religion or Belief
- Sexual Orientation
- Any Other Preceived Difference
An incident may be physical, verbal or written and can take many forms including:
- Physical attack: such as physical assault, damage to property
- Threat of attack: abusive or obscene calls or letters
- Verbal abuse or insults
- Offensive leaflets and posters, hate mail, abusive gestures
- Dumping of rubbish outside homes
- Harassment, bullying or victimisation
Where the incident is of a criminal nature this will be dealt with as a Hate Crime which allows courts to grant additional time on sentencing.
To report a Hate Incident, either as a victim or a witness, please visit the Leicestershire County Council website or get intouch with our Hate Crime Officer by calling the Council on 01530 454545 or emailing email@example.com.
To report a Hate Crime please contact the police on 101 unless someone is in imminent danger in which case call 999.
Last updated: Thu 30 January, 2020 @ 10:50