What if I disagree with a decision on my Council Tax Support? 

If you disagree with a decision on your Council Tax Support, you can ask for it to be explained or looked at again.

Our decision can't be changed if you're working age and disagree that you can't get 100% discount. The maximum amount of Council Tax reduction that we can give under our local Council Tax Support scheme is 85% - so we won't be able to increase this amount.

But you can challenge the decision for any of the reasons below:

  • You think that we should have given you a Council Tax reduction - but we haven't done this
  • You think the amount of reduction we've given is wrong
  • You think our decision on your application for a Discretionary Discount Fund payment is wrong.

If you want to challenge a decision, please complete a dispute form.

Dispute form (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb)

What happens after a dispute is made?

If you've asked for the decision to be looked at again, we'll do this and write to you.

If we find that the decision was wrong, we'll change it.

If we can't change the decision, we'll explain why.

If you still disagree with the decision after it has been looked at again (or two months have passed since you asked for it to be looked at again, and you haven't had a reply) you can appeal directly to the independent Valuation Tribunal.

The Valuation Tribunal will check and decide if the decision has been made correctly under our local scheme.

Independent advice

If you need independent advice, you can get help from your local Citizens Advice Bureau or a solicitor. You can find phone numbers and other local advice agencies on-line, or visit our useful websites and other agencies page.

Need to dispute a Housing Benefit decision?

If you need any more information, please contact us.

Last updated: Mon 26 February, 2024 @ 14:46