Second Adult Rebate is a special type of Council Tax Support for people of pension age.

It can be paid in some cases even if your income or savings are too high to get normal Council Tax Support.

You can get it if you're pension age, single (or if your partner is discounted for Council Tax) and you have another person living in your home.

To be counted as a Second Adult, the person must be:

  • 18 years of age or over
  • Not paying rent to you
  • Not your husband, wife or civil partner
  • Not living with you as if you're married or civil partners
  • Not liable to pay Council Tax themselves
  • Not already disregarded on your Council Tax bill
  • On a low income

If you have more than one person living with you (such as two grown up children) and they all meet the conditions, then you may still get Second Adult Rebate.

Who can claim?

Only the liable person can make the claim - so your name must be on the Council Tax bill.

How is Second Adult Rebate calculated?

If everyone living with you gets Pension Credit, Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, then your Council Tax is reduced by 25 per cent. 


  • If their gross weekly income added together (before tax is deducted) is less than £265, your Council Tax is reduced by 15 per cent.
  • If their gross weekly income added together is between £265 and £343.99, your Council Tax is reduced by 7.5 per cent.
  • If their gross weekly income added together is £344 or more per week, then you won't be able to get Second Adult Rebate.

Gross weekly income is made up of any money that they get from wages, pensions and benefits such as Tax Credits or Universal Credit.

Their savings aren't taken into account. But any interest on savings they get (before tax is deducted) counts as part of their income.

If they get Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or Armed Forces Independence Payment, then these benefits are ignored when calculating their gross income.

If you qualify for Second Adult Rebate and for normal Council Tax Support as well, you won't get them both. We'll pay you whichever is higher.

You can apply online or contact us if you would like more information. 

Make a claim online

Last updated: Tue 2 April, 2024 @ 11:55