Extra help with your Council Tax if you're in severe financial hardship

If you're getting Council Tax Support but still have problems meeting your Council Tax payments, you may be able to get extra help.

You can also apply for help from the fund even if you're not getting Council Tax Support. 

The discount isn't an emergency payment, or a cash payment - it's a discount on your Council Tax bill.

The fund is provided by local councils, Leicestershire County Council, the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner and Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service.

How do I apply?

You must be responsible for paying Council Tax to make a claim.

Download and print out a claim form. You can also email or phone to ask for a form.

You'll need to send full details of the money you have coming in and going out.

When we look at your claim, we class some expenses as essential and allow for these when working out if we can award any extra help. But some outgoings can't be allowed or the amount allowed may be limited.

We have a limited budget for Discretionary Discount payments, so not all claims can be successful.

How will it be paid?

We'll add the discount to your Council Tax bill and reduce the amount you have to pay.  

What if I don't agree with your decision?

If you disagree with the decision we make, you have the right to ask for it to be looked at again. You also have the right to appeal.

When won't help be given?

Some things can't be covered, such as:

  • A reduction in your Council Tax Support due to a non-dependant deduction
  • A shortfall between your award of Second Adult Rebate and your Council Tax charge if you're over pension age
  • A drop in your benefit as you didn't go to a work-related interview
  • A Universal Credit or Jobseekers Allowance sanction 

Extra help may only be given for a short period of time and may not cover your full Council Tax charge.

What about extra help with my rent?

If you get Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit and need extra help to pay your rent, you may be able to get a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

You should apply for a DHP if you have a shortfall in both your rent and your Council Tax. 

You should apply for Council Tax Discretionary Discount if you only need extra help with your Council Tax.

Last updated: Mon 29 April, 2024 @ 10:50