Our Electoral Services team is responsible for compiling the Register of Electors each year - and for organising all elections taking place in the district - including Leicestershire County Council, Police & Crime Commissioner, Parliamentary and European Elections.
Our main duties are:
- To make sure all eligible electors are correctly registered in order to use their right to vote it they wish
- The registration of overseas electors, service personnel and European Union citizens
- The processing of postal and proxy voting applications
- Providing polling stations, election staff and all polling stationery and equipment
- To provide candidates and their agents with all the necessary literature in respect of elections in which they are to stand.
- To advertise and promote electoral registration and elections and answer any related queries
Electoral Services is committed to providing access to polling for all members of the community.
Register of Electors
Please make sure you register to vote and use your vote.
The open register
There are two registers. Why?
Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers - the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register)
The electoral register
The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:
- detecting crime (e.g. fraud)
- calling people for jury service
- checking credit applications
The open register
The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.
You can find more information about both registers and how they may be used at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
Your personal information
We will only use the information to give us for electoral purposes. We will look after personal information securely and we will follow the Data Protection Act 1998. We will not give personal information about you and the other people in your household to anyone else or another organisation unless we have to by law.
Last updated: Mon 21 January, 2019 @ 10:50