In NWL we have 6 outdoor gyms located in our parks, by our play areas and within our recreation grounds, so you are never far away from one*. All of our gyms are free to use and suitable for all fitness levels. They are easy to use no matter what your experience level.
Where are they located?
View a map of our outdoor gyms and facilities Outdoor Gym Map June 19 (PDF Document, 0.91 Mb)
Why visit and use our outdoor gyms?
Our gyms are easy to access and provide you with the opportunity to get active for free, in a way and at a time that suits you. They can also be enjoyed together with friends and family. Just adding an extra 10 minutes of activity to your day can help you to feel happier and healthier.
What are the benefits of outdoor gyms?
- Easy to access in your local area, so they fit in with your schedule
- They are free to use
- Inclusive equipment is available
- You can use them together or alone, there is something for everyone
- You can be active whilst enjoying the great outdoors
- Being active helps you stay physically healthy
How do I use an outdoor gym?
A lot of our outdoor gyms include equipment installed by Wicksteed Playgrounds.
- Learn how to use our outdoor gym equipment by watching these videos produced by Wicksteed Playground
Before you start
- Before starting to exercise ensure that the exercises that you are intenting to complete are right and safe for you. If you are unsure always consult your GP or healthcare professional first
- If whilst exercising you feel unwell, dizzy or in pain at any time, stop exercising and gain assistance if required
- Follow the manufactures instructions as these vary site to site
- Users are liable for the own health and safety whilst using the outdoor gym equipment
- If you are unsure of any of the exercises listed consult a fitness instructor at your local leisure centre, or call Emily Rodbourne on 01530 454755 for more advice
- Complete a warm-up before beginning any exercise, and a cool down when finished
- Ensure you surroundings are safe and the equipment is not faulty before using
Your Workout plans
Now you are ready to go, choose one of our workout plans to follow. Please note, these plans are meant as a guide only and should be utilised in a manner that suits the user. Our plans can be used across all 6 of our outdoor gym sites
Warm-up and Cool-down - Warm-up and cool down (PDF Document, 1.54 Mb)
It is important to do a warm-up before exercising to prepare your body and lower your chances of suffering injury. Completing a cool down also helps to reduce the chances of feeling any possible stiffness the next day
- Full Body Workout - Full Body workout (PDF Document, 2.7 Mb)
This plan will give you a full body workout
- Lower Body Workout - Lower body workout (PDF Document, 2.47 Mb)
One for the legs. This plan is ideal for when you want to focus on your lower body strength
Upper Body Workout - Upper body workout (PDF Document, 2.41 Mb)
One for your arms and core. This plan is ideal for when you want to focus on your upper body strength
- Core and Trunk Workout - Core and trunk workout (PDF Document, 2.68 Mb)
This plan will get your abs and trunk working
- Mobility and Coordination Workout - Mobility and coordination (PDF Document, 2.41 Mb)
Improving your co-ordination can help you in your everyday life
For some more ideas take a look at the National Trust Outdoor Gym 31 day plan
If you would like more information on our outdoor gyms, or if you would like to give us some feedback specifically about outdoor gym equipment use, please contact: Emily Rodbourne on 01530 454755 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
*Note: Not all outdoor gym sites are managed by North West Leicestershire District Council. Please see the list of information about each site to find out who each site is managed by.
Last updated: Thu 3 October, 2019 @ 09:11