Skip to content

Our Customer Services team is currently very busy helping residents with their newly received bills and statements. If you need help or have questions we recommend you visit our advice page.

Benefit changes

Top tasks:

The Government has made a number of big changes to the benefits system in recent years. Find out more about these changes here.  

Benefit Cap

A limit on the total amount that most people of working age can get.  If you're affected your Housing Benefit will go down. 

Council Tax Support

This local system of help replaced Council Tax Benefit in April 2013. Working age people now have to pay at least 15% of their bill. 

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment is gradually replacing Disability Living Allowance for disabled people aged 16 to 64. It helps with some of the extra costs caused by ill health or disability, and is based on how a person’s condition affects them, not the condition they have. 


Also known as the 'spare room subsidy' or 'bedroom tax'. If you live in a council or housing association home and you have one or more ‘spare’ bedrooms, the amount of Housing Benefit that you can get may be reduced. 

Universal Credit

A new benefit for people of working age. It will replace benefits for people who are out of work and tax credits for people in work.  It's being introduced gradually, and is available in the Coalville Jobcentre area to working age single people, couples and families with no more than two children.

Share this page:

Last updated:

Back to top