Universal Credit is a payment for working age people to help with living costs.

Universal Credit is replacing benefits for people out of work and tax credits for people in work.

If you’re working age, you’ll need to claim Universal Credit to get help with your rent - unless:

  • You’ve been placed in temporary accommodation by our Housing Choices Team or
  • You live in supported accommodation.

But you still need to contact us to claim help with your Council Tax.

Read more about Universal Credit on the GOV.UK website.

If you’re a couple where one of you has reached State Pension age and the other hasn't, then you’re a ‘mixed age couple’.

Mixed age couples will normally have to claim Universal Credit until they've both reached pension age.

Read more about mixed age couples

Universal Credit is paid monthly by Jobcentre Plus. You make your claim on-line.

Universal Credit replaces:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

Universal Credit doesn't replace:

  • Contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Pension Credit
  • Carers Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.

More information about Universal Credit is available from Citizens Advice

Last updated: Mon 22 April, 2024 @ 14:11