Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help you with the extra costs of long term ill-health or disability.

You can claim if you're aged 16 or over and haven't reached State Pension age.

PIP is based on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself. 

It's made up of two parts (components): Daily Living and Mobility.

PIP isn't affected by income or savings, isn't taxable and you can get it whether you're in or out of work. 

It won't count as an income when working out your claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. If it's awarded, it may even help you to get extra benefit.

Read more about Personal Independence Payment on the GOV.UK website. Or call the PIP new claims line on 0800 917 2222 (textphone 0800 917 7777).

PIP is gradually replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is ending for people who were born after 8 April 1948 and are 16 or over.

Your claim will stop when the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) write to tell you, or your circumstances change.

But if you were born on or before 8 April 1948 and have an existing claim, you will keep getting DLA as long as you're entitled to it.

You can still claim DLA for a child under 16, and you can apply for Attendance Allowance if you’ve reached State Pension age.

Last updated: Mon 3 June, 2024 @ 12:38