Top tasks:

There are many reasons why you might need to claim benefits at some point in your life. But the system can seem scary - and millions go unclaimed every year because people are either unaware or reluctant to find out more. 

On these pages we'll explain what help is available - as simply as possible.

If you need help, get in touch today.

Make a claim online

Universal Credit

Universal Credit has now been introduced for most working age people across North West Leicestershire and replaces Housing Benefit if you need help to pay your rent.

You may also need to claim Universal Credit if you already get benefits and your circumstances change.

You can still apply for Housing Benefit if you're over state pension age, but the rules for couples have changed.

You can't usually make a new Housing Benefit claim as a couple until you've both reached pension age. Mixed age couples will normally have to claim Universal Credit instead.

But if you already get Housing Benefit because one of you is pension age, you can carry on claiming it after this date.   

Read more about eligibility for Universal Credit on the GOV.UK website, or find out more from Citizens Advice

Note that if you claim Universal Credit, you’ll still need to contact us to claim help with your Council Tax.

Last updated: Mon 4 March, 2024 @ 12:40