Planning Portal

Initially, we recommend you visit the Planning Portal website to see if planning permission is required for either home improvement projects or commercial or residential developments.

The Planning Portal provides answers to some frequently answered questions and offer guides covering a wide range of common projects.

Unfortunately, from 11 January 2021 we have had to temporarily suspend our free advice service on answering queries in relation to "do I need planning permission" due to resource implications following the coronavirus issues.  We have a number of staff who are having to self-isolate or are having to look after/home school children so we have had to make the difficult decision to concentrate on dealing with current planning applications which are in the system.

I appreciate that this isn’t ideal and apologise for any inconvenience caused in relation to this. We are aiming to re-open this service as soon as practicably possible.  This applies to all enquiries with the exception of those householder queries which have been completed on the self-assessment forms, which is discussed below.

Self Assessment Forms

This service is still available.

If you are intended to do any extensions or alterations to your home, we have also developed a series of self assessment forms which will help you to assess whether you require planning permission for your proposed development.

You can also view our step by step guide for planning advice for homeowners.

Lawful Development Certificates

If you want written confirmation that planning permission is not required, refer to Lawful development certificates (GOV.UK) for more information.

If you wish to make an application for a certificate of lawful proposed development this can be done through the Planning Portal or the application form with guidance can be downloaded from our website NWLDC - Downloadable Forms.

Share this page:

Last updated: Fri 8 January, 2021 @ 16:54