Our Housing Choices Team offers free specialist advice and assistance on housing matters to anybody in North West Leicestershire who needs it. We can offer advice to all types of householders, including people who own their own home.
The Housing Choices Team can also help if you are struggling with your essential day to day needs. We work with local charities and groups that provide help such as food banks and second-hand furniture and white good providers. Help with essential needs.
You can access the Housing Choices service by contacting us by phone or email.
Looking for a council or a housing association home?
We have a 'choice based lettings' system, where you bid for properties - but only once you've joined the housing register. You can apply to join the housing regiater and view available properties by registering with our Housing Customer Portal
There are some people who are not eligible or do not qualify to be included on the housing register. These are
- people who are subject to Immigration Control under the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act
- people from abroad who are not subject to immigration control but who are not habitually resident in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland
- people (including members of their household) whose behaviour makes them unsuitable to be a tenant
- Certain home seekers with the financial means to meet their own housing need
- Home seekers who lack the mental capacity to enter into and sustain a tenancy agreement
- Home seekers from outside the sub-region – other than in exceptional circumstances, home seekers from outside the sub-region who have no local connection to any of the seven partner local authorities within the sub-region, and who are not existing tenants of a social housing provider, will not qualify for social housing.
For more detailed information contact Housing Choices Team
It is important that you tell us of any changes in your circumstances so that we can amend your housing application. We will tell you if this results in your housing priority moving to a different band.
If you change bands your registration date may change. We will make checks before confirming any offer of accommodation and if your circumstances are different to those on your application form, the offer may be withdrawn and your application suspended until you have provided details of your new circumstances.
Once we have received your housing application form we will check that all the information and documents requested have been sent in. If anything is missing we will contact you to let you know.
Provided we have all the information needed, your details will normally be put onto the computer system within 10 days of receiving all your supporting evidence and then assessed in relation to your housing need.
You will be placed in one of four bands (Priority, High, Medium or Low). Priority band represents the highest need to move while the low band is the lowest priority.
Once we have assessed your housing need, we will send you an email or a letter advising you which band you have been placed in, your home seeker registration number, and what type and size of property you are eligible to apply for.
If you disagree with the assessment, the letter will explain how you can ask for a review.
Photographic proof of identity will normally be required in every case e.g. by supplying a copy of your photo driving licence, valid Passport or bus pass etc. If you have no photo ID, a copy of your original Birth Certificate or National Insurance Card will be accepted provided it is accompanied by a passport sized photo that is countersigned on the back by someone who can confirm your identity.
Please do not send your original photo I.D
Yes. Once a year, normally on the anniversary of your housing application, you will be sent a renewal form, which you must complete and return by the due date stated on the letter.
If you do not return the form, we will write and tell you that your housing application will be cancelled.
Last updated: Fri 16 September, 2022 @ 13:31