Skip to Content

Top tasks:

If you claim Universal Credit, your rent costs will usually be included in that claim - you can't get Housing Benefit as well.

Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is used to work out how much Housing Benefit you can get if you rent from a private landlord.  

It's a flat rate allowance, based on the area where you live and the number of people who live with you. It isn't based on the rent that your landlord charges for your property.

Your Housing Benefit is worked out using your LHA rate, your income and your savings. You need a valid tenancy agreement.

Housing Benefit under LHA rules is usually paid directly to you rather than to your landlord.

If you rent from a housing association or the council, rent a caravan or houseboat or have a tenancy which began before 1989, your Housing Benefit will based on the amount of rent that you're charged.

See the current Local Housing Allowance rates.

Find out more about Local Housing Allowance.


Share this page:

Last updated: