Top tasks:

If you are experiencing financial difficulty please contact us as soon as possible. Don't wait until it's too late! 

To avoid receiving a reminder, or a summons, you must pay by the instalment due dates which are shown on your demand notice. 

If you're having difficulty paying your council tax you should always contact us as soon as possible. We are always happy to help and advise.

Remember you can always opt to pay your council tax over 12 monthly instalments to help to spread the cost.

Also you can change the date your payment is due by choosing to pay by Direct Debit. We can collect not only on the 1st of the month but also on the 8th, 14th or 21st of the month. Direct Debit payments can be taken over 10 or 12 months. Find out more. 

What happens if I don't pay?

We have to collect council tax in line with the law.

This means that, if you miss a payment, we'll send you a reminder. You'll then have a further seven days to pay that instalment. If you don't then the whole balance of your demand notice must be paid in full. 

If it is not paid you will receive a summons - which will cost you an additional £43.50.

If payment of the first reminder is made you can continue to pay monthly. But the law only allows a maximum of two reminders in any financial year.

If you are late paying after getting two reminders, you will receive a Final Notice - which has to be paid in full within seven days to avoid a court summons being issued. The summons details how much you owe and tells you when a Magistrates Court hearing is to be held.

At the hearing we will ask the Magistrates to grant a Liability Order, which will cost you an additional £15.50. Once the Liability Order is granted by the Court, it allows us to take further recovery action to clear the debt.

Recovery action can take the form of:

  • Payment by arrangement. We will discuss and agree an appropriate payment plan with you. Please ensure you have employment details for all liable parties
  • Attachment of Earnings
  • Deductions from Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance
  • An instruction to external enforcement agents (formerly known as bailiffs) to recover the debt on our behalf. This option could involve significant additional costs being payable by you directly to the enforcement agents
  • Committal to Prison. You could be sent to prison for up to 90 days for not paying your Council Tax
  • A Charging Order on your property
  • Bankruptcy proceedings against you
Share this page:

Last updated: Tue 9 March, 2021 @ 13:02