There are several steps that you will need to complete before becoming a licensed driver.
You can apply for two types of licence, either a:
- Private Hire Drivers license which must be attached to a Private Hire Operator
- or a Dual (Private Hire Driver and Hackney Carriage Dirver) licence.
All applications for the grant of a driver's licence application must be made in person. You must make an appointment to see a member of the licensing staff - it is highly unlikely you will be seen without one. At that meeting you must have:
- a fully completed Driver Licence Application Form (PDF Document, 0.2 Mb)
- 2 passport sized photographs
- a completed DBS form and supporting identification documents
- a full DVLA driving licence and completed Driving Licence Mandate Form (PDF Document, 0.32 Mb)
- a practical driving assessment pass certificate
- documentation to comply with the Immigration Act
- a completed DVLA D4 Medical Form
- a cheque (or card) to pay for the DBS application and the Knowledge Test
- completed the Knowledge Test (if you require to take a verbal test please let us know)
- passed a Taxi Driver Assessment with The Blue Lamp Trust
You will need to pay the relevant fee once your application has been granted.
- Be a 'fit and proper' person - Licensing Officers are required to assess that drivers meet the 'Fit and Proper' Person Policy (PDF Document, 0.86 Mb).
- Clean driving licence - the paper counterpart to a driving licence is no longer valid. To prove you have a clean driving licence you will need to complete the Driving Licence Mandate Form (PDF Document, 0.32 Mb)
- Understand and speak English
- Disclose any criminal convictions - failure to include convictions could result in your application being refused. Please note that taxi driving is an exempt occupation therefore convictions never expire
You may find the following documents useful before submitting your application:
- Code of Good Conduct (PDF Document, 0.51 Mb)
- DVLA D4 Medical Guidance
- Hackney Carriage Byelaws (PDF Document, 0.1 Mb)
- Private Hire Driver Conditions (PDF Document, 0.37 Mb)
If you are renewing your driver's licence you can either complete the Driving Licence Mandate Form (there is a fee) or visit DVLA website to generate a code (free service) which you then give to the Licensing Office.
You will need your:
- Your driving licence number
- Your National Insurance Number
- The postcode on your driving licence
Last updated: Thu 8 August, 2019 @ 14:16