There are several steps that you will need to complete before becoming a licensed driver.
You can apply for two types of licence, either a:
- Private Hire Drivers licence which must be attached to a Private Hire Operator.
- or a Dual (Private Hire Driver and Hackney Carriage Driver) licence.
All applications for the grant of a driver's licence application can be made online.
You must first register for an account or login by accessing the following link https://nwleics-self.achieveservice.com/.
Please view the short video on How to register for a Self account - YouTube.
In preparation for your application, you will need certain documents.
Before you start your application, you will need to complete an Enhanced DBS Form.
Documents can either be sent to us by post or you can contact us to make an appointment at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, you will not be seen by a licensing officer without an appointment.
If you are renewing your driver's licence, you will be sent a reminder to renew along with a unique reference number. You must apply using this reference number.
You will need the following documents either in scanned or photo format on your device to complete the online form and be ready to make the payment electronically on submission:
- A passport sized photograph
- Photo driving licence (both sides)
- Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Certificate
- DVLA check code. Check code can be obtained by using the following link: DVLA Check Code
- Driving Licence Mandate Form which can be downloaded via this link: Mandate Form Please print this form and complete, scan and upload as part of your application.
- Practical driving assessment pass certificate. Currently the Blue Lamp Trust is the Council’s preferred provider of this assessment. Please contact the Blue Lamp Trust directly by clicking on this link: Blue Lamp Trust
In addition you will need to:
- Complete a Group 2 DVLA medical questionnaire. This form can be downloaded via this link: Medical Questionnaire
- Pay and pass a Private Hire or Hackney Carriage Knowledge Test
- Read HMRC Guidance on what you need to do to be properly registered for tax in the future (for renewals you will be required to provide a Tax Check Code)
- Documentation to comply with the Immigration Act
- Be a 'fit and proper' person
- Understand and speak English
- Disclose any criminal convictions - failure to include convictions could result in your application being refused. Please note that taxi driving is an exempt occupation therefore convictions never expire
You may find the following document useful before submitting your application:
Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy (PDF Document, 0.83 Mb)
Last updated: Fri 16 December, 2022 @ 11:09