We give all new tenants a trial period to show they can keep to a tenancy agreement, look after their home and not be a nuisance to neighbours. 

As a new tenant you have signed an Introductory Tenancy Agreements. If there have been no problems after 12 months you will be invited to become a secure tenant.

For the time you are an introductory tenant, you don’t have all the rights of a secure senant, and could be evicted more quickly and easily if you break your tenancy agreement.

How do your legal rights differ from a secure tenant?

All council tenants have legal rights and responsibilities.

But as an introductory tenant, you don’t have the automatic right to:

  • Take in lodgers/sublet
  • Make improvements
  • Exchange with another tenant
  • Buy the property
  • Transfer from one council property to another.

If during your first 12 months you want to take in lodgers, improve your home or to transfer then you can still apply to us - but we don't have to give you permission if we don't think it's the right thing to do. 

As a new tenant you will not have the Right to Buy yet - but your occupation will help establish a discount entitlement should you choose to buy your home in the future.

What if there are problems with rent payments or anti-social behaviour?

Most people will pass smoothly from their introductory tenancy to a secure tenancy.

We'll review your tenancy every three months in the first year - including home visits - to make sure you're following the rules of your agreement.

We will act quickly against anyone who breaks their tenancy agreement. We will always investigate to see if things can be sorted out, but if the problem is serious or if you don’t work with us to find a solution, we will take action to terminate your tenancy.

Rent payments

Your tenancy agreement says you must pay your rent on time.

If you fall behind we will contact you. We may refer you for money advice and let you make an agreement to pay off the arrears in regular amounts on top of your weekly rent.

If you continue to fall behind or are persistently late paying your rent we will start legal action to end your tenancy.

Anti-social behaviour

If we receive complaints about you acting in an anti-social way, we will investigate thoroughly, collect evidence, interview witnesses and more.

If the complaint is justified, we will take action which may involve asking you to modify your behaviour, work with a mediator or if appropriate we will start legal action to end your tenancy.

It is important to remember that you are also responsible for the behaviour of anyone living with you or visiting your home, and that we will take action if the nuisance takes place in your home, outside your home or in the locality.

What action will be taken to terminate your tenancy?

We will serve a Notice of Termination if we want to go to court to evict you. With an Introductory Tenancy, the Judge cannot refuse to grant the order if we have acted appropriately.

Your right to review

We will serve a Notice of Termination if we want to go to court to evict you.

You can ask for a review of your case but must do this within 14 days of receiving the notice. The review will be carried out by people who have not previously been involved in the case. They will check everything has been done correctly and inform you of the decision before the notice expires.

How will your tenancy be made secure?

We will review your tenancy throughout the introductory tenancy period and if you have maintained the tenancy in a satisfactory manner, you will be asked to attend an interview to become a secure tenant. A different tenancy agreement will then be signed.

Where can you get advice?

If you have any questions about your tenancy, please contact your Housing Officer. You can get independent advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau, The Council for Voluntary Services at Marlene Reid Centre or a solicitor.

Introductory Tenancy Policy (Word Document, 0.1 Mb)

Last updated: Tue 25 February, 2014 @ 11:24